Friday 28 September 2012

Urban India Rejects September 2012 reforms - CNN IBN Poll

I must admit I am not putting much effort in this post. I watched the results of much hyped CNN IBN Poll today in a program hosted by Sagarika Ghosh. I am going to simply post data from that poll. As per CNN IBN "the urban middle class has dealt a severe blow to the Manmohan Singh Government, giving the Prime Minister's push for reforms a big thumbs down." The Poll was conducted between 20-22 September 2012

Here is a quick set of results on each of the economic policy changes:
1) Is hike in diesel prices justified?  - 87% said NO
2) Is cap on subsidised LPG cylinders to 6 justified? - 93% said NO
3) Is FDI in retail justified? - 76% said NO
4) Faith in Prime Minister Manmohan Singh? - 67% said NO (37% want him replaced)


There was a panel discussion on the poll results which I saw. The panelists were Siddharth Varadarajan(Editor-In-Chief The Hindu), Kumar Ketkar(Dainik Divya Marathi), Vinod Mehta(Outlook Magazine), Swapan Dasgupta. What I want to mention here is about the panelist who has struck a cord with me. Siddharth Varadarajan mention that there is skepticism and people do not see exactly why FDI in retail was required. He also mentioned that given the list of scams that have come out in open during the last several years, people do not see if they can trust the government on these issues. I am paraphrasing what he said but this is roughly what he said. I saw the entire discussion but this is what struck the most to me because he seemed to have hit the nail in the head as far as I am concerned. I am also asking why was there this rush with FDI in multi-brand retail?

Readers can access a report on the result here at CNN IBN website.




No comments:

Post a Comment